I will full out admit that I am a carnivore. Meat, meat and more meat. I find meatless dishes hard. There just always seems like something is missing. Some substance. Yet as a food blogger I find I must do my part to help my readers find a good balance in their meals from sweet all the way to savory. So when I started developing this coconut curry I needed to find some sort of middle ground. Something with lots of flavour while not lacking in the that substance I mentioned before.
One of the great things about mushrooms is while they are a versatile vegetable they also have a weight, a meatiness to them that works well in meat-free dishes. I used portabellas in this recipes; the thickest, earthiest fungi around. Adding the paneer, an Indian cheese similar to curds, boosts the protein in this dish and you can easily add cooked chicken if like me you can't quite give up you carnivore ways.
With some rice, Indian bread like naan or paratha and a leafy salad you can enjoy this quick dish any night of the week.
Mushroom Coconut Curry with Leeks and Paneer
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
4 cups portabella mushrooms, sliced
1 large leek, rinsed and chopped
2 tbsp garlic, chopped
2 tsp ginger, chopped
1 tsp olive oil
1 1/2 cups paneer cheese, cubed
2 cans (13.5 fl.oz each) coconut milk
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot over med-high heat add the oil.
2. Add in the mushrooms and leeks and saute, stirring frequently until begin to become translucent and mushroom get soft and brown about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the garlic, ginger and cubes of paneer and cook until fragrant about 2 minutes.
4. Add the coconut milk, water, curry, turmeric, coriander, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and stir well.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes, then serve.
This is one vegetarian dish that anyone would gobble up! It's filling, healthy and ready in only 25 minutes- what's not to love?! Thanks Heather for sharing a real winner!