How does that old saying go? The way to a man's heart is through his stomach? If that's the case, you will certainly win over Dad's heart this Father's Day with this fast and easy recipe, Baked Eggs with Mushrooms.
This is the perfect breakfast to start Dad's day off right. Filled with lots of B-Vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and protein, Baked Eggs with Mushrooms will give the whole family energy to enjoy this special day.
Baked Eggs with Mushrooms
Preparation Time: 5 mins. Cooking Time: 20 mins.
No need to boil, poach or scramble just bake eggs in the oven on a tasty mushroom sauté. If you don’t have ramekins try using gratin dishes, oven –proof soup, dessert or cereal dishes, coffee mugs or custard cups.
1 tbsp vegetable oil 15 mL
8 oz fresh sliced fresh Mushrooms 250 g
1/3 cup diced red pepper (optional) 75 mL
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional) 15 mL
1/4 tsp Each salt and pepper 1 mL
1/2 tsp dried thyme, tarragon or basil (optional) 2 mL
4 large eggs 4
1/3 cup shredded Cheddar cheese 75 mL
Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 ºF (180ºC). In a medium skillet heat oil over medium–high heat, sauté mushrooms 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned and moisture is released. Add red pepper, parsley, salt, pepper and herb if using; sauté 1 minute. Spoon evenly into 4 lightly greased (6 oz/ 90 mL) ramekins. Crack one egg into each ramekin and sprinkle cheese evenly on top. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes (baked eggs are done when whites are set and puffy but yolks are just starting to set). Serve with toast to dip in the soft yolk.
Makes 4 servings
Tip: If using wide gratin dishes in place of ramekins make a well in the middle of the mushrooms and crack eggs into the well; increase cheese to ½ cup (125 mL). For brunch bake herbed tomato halves in the oven with the eggs.
1. Substitute Swiss or Havarti with jalapeno cheese for Cheddar.
2. Substitute diced cooked ham for red pepper.
3. Substitute ½ cup (125 mL) salsa or chili sauce for the red pepper, salt pepper and herbs.
4. French Style: for a softer texture eggs may be baked in a water bath. Place the filled ramekins in a roasting pan or baking pan (large enough so they are not touching each other). Place the pan on the oven shelf and pour in enough boiling water into the pan to reach ½-2/3 up the side of the ramekin. Bake as directed 12- 15 minutes.
Nutritional Information (Per Serving): Calories 152, Sodium 263 mg, Protein 9.4 g, Fat 11.7 g, Carbohydrates 2.6 g, Dietary Fibre 0.9 g
This recipe is an Excellent Source of Protein
You might also try:
- Mushroom Pita Pockets for Lunch
- Mushrooms with Mediterranean Tuna Dip for a Snack
- Basque Chicken for Dinner
posted by Brittany