According to the Canadian Cancer Society, 22,700 Canadian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer is 2009. Sadly, 5,400 will die of it.
The good news is, research shows 30 to 35 percent of all cancers can be prevented by eating well, being active and not being overweight. Along with physical activity and not smoking, healthy eating is one of the cornerstones for cancer prevention.
According to research conducted at the Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope in Duarte, Calif., linoleic acid extracted from mushrooms suppressed growth of hormone dependent breast tumors in mice.The links between mushrooms and breast tumors are:
- mushrooms contain linoleic acid
- linoleic acid inhibits aromatase
- aromatase suppresses estrogen
- estrogen is a hormone associated with tumor cell production
The strongest anti-aromatase activity was from large white “stuffer” mushrooms.
Shiitake, white button mushrooms, portabella, crimini and baby button mushrooms also showed significant inhibitory effects.
The Beckman scientists suggest that a 100 g (3.5oz) serving of mushrooms per day would help suppress breast tumor growth in women. However, much more research, including human studies, needs to be done before any specific recommendations can be made.
Healthy eating is one of the cornerstones of cancer prevention, along with being active, not being overweight, and not smoking. As they are low in calories and fat, have very little carbohydrate and provide some fibre, fresh mushrooms are a delicious way to eat healthy.
More on mushrooms and breast cancer can be found here:
- So your concern is Breast & Prostate Cancer ~ Mushrooms Canada
- Breast & Prostate Cancers ~ Mushrooms Canada
- Researchers study mushrooms' cancer-fighting potential ~ City of Hope
- What is Breast Cancer? ~ Canadian Cancer Society
posted by Brittany