Is it just me, or did April go by really, really quickly? I can't believe that it's already Mother's Day tomorrow! I don't know about you, but this year I decided (in order to keep my sanity) I would forgo preparing my mother a home-cooked meal, and just take her out for a delicious breakfast...
But that doesn't mean you can't whip something up in the kitchen!
If you're using fresh Canadian mushrooms then you're in luck! They are not only good for you, but can be used in a variety of meals, so whether you are cooking your mom breakfast, lunch or dinner, mushrooms will fit right in!
• Eggs. Scrambled, baked, quiche or fritatta, adding any variety of fresh mushroom to your eggs is as simple as sauteeing and... well adding!
• Cheese. For something super quick, top whole wheat English muffin halves with provolone or havarti cheese and sliced fresh mushrooms. Broil for 2-4 minutes or until cheese is nicely melted.
• Green salads. Make the most of your salads by adorning them with fresh mushrooms. Mushrooms add toothsome texture, flavour and extra nutrients.
• Polenta. Top grilled polenta with a generous spoonful of fresh sliced or chopped mushrooms, sautéed in some olive oil or butter and tossed with fresh herbs such as thyme, salt, pepper and a smidgen of sherry or balsamic vinegar. Divine.
• Rice. There is nothing so elegant yet so comforting than a steaming hot bowl of creamy fresh mushroom risotto.
• Whole wheat pasta. What could be easier than cooking up a bowl of hearty whole wheat pasta? Tossing some cooked, sliced mushrooms into the pasta or even the tomato sauce adds a bonus of satisfying meaty texture and appealing taste.
• Sandwiches and Wraps. Sliced fresh mushrooms give lovely crunch and a flavour boost to sandwiches and wraps. In fact, a grilled Portabella mushroom makes a great sandwich “filler” itself! Just layer the mushroom between two slices of whole grain bread and top with some cheese, herbed mayonnaise or some more fresh vegetables.
• Barbecued hamburgers and steak. Grill Portabella slices or chunks alongside your meat and serve as a burger topping or as a side dish with your steak.
What is your plan for Mother's Day? Home-cooked meal or dinner reservations?