Mushrooms Contain... Minerals!
According to Canada’s Food Guide, a half-cup of fresh mushrooms counts as one serving of Vegetables and Fruit and is a source of copper, phosphorus, potassium and selenium. Along with serving up great taste, fresh mushrooms also contribute to daily intakes of iron, magnesium and zinc. Here we’ve listed the nutrient amounts and % Daily Value of these important minerals for a for a 100 gram serving of white button mushrooms (approx. 4-5 mushrooms).
• Found in all body tissues, with the bulk in the liver, brain, heart and kidney.
• An essential micronutrient that plays a role in making hemoglobin.
• Also involved in energy production.
• A component of hemoglobin and myoglobin and is important in oxygen transfer.
• A component of numerous enzymes.
• About 70% is found in hemoglobin, about 25% is stored in liver, spleen and bone.
• Macronutrient with 50% found in bone and the other 50% almost entirely inside body cells.
• Serves as an important part of more than 300 enzymes responsible for regulating many body functions including energy production, making body protein and muscle contraction.
• Also helps maintain nerve and muscle cells.
• A component of every cell and other important compounds including DNA and RNA which are responsible for cell growth and repair.
• Part of phospholipids present in every cell membrane in the body.
• Is a major component of bones and teeth.
• Important for pH regulation.
• Helps regulate fluids and mineral balance in and out of body cells.
• Helps maintain blood pressure.
• Important for muscle contraction and transmission of nerve impulses.
• Is involved in fat metabolism.
• Acts as an antioxidant with vitamin E.
• Helps the body use carbohydrate, protein and fat.
• A constituent of many enzymes and of insulin.
• Promotes cell reproduction and tissue growth and repair. Adequate zinc intake is essential for growth.
• Involved in immune function.
• Also plays many important structural roles as components of proteins.
What's your favourite way to cook with mineral rich, fresh mushrooms?