There are many lessons I learned from my mother: how to do a load of laundry, how to balance a chequebook, how to dig up a dandelion, how to stitch a button back on a shirt, how to bake a cake, but most important of all, she taught me how to eat well on a budget.
So when it came time to come up with a recipe using the Blend and Extend method of combining ground beef with finely chopped mushrooms, it only seemed appropriate that I should use her recipe for Stroganoff Meatballs from my beloved binder of family recipes as a starting point.
Her version of the comfort food classic was already pretty thrifty, since it replaces the more expensive cuts of beef in the traditional stroganoff with relatively cheaper ground beef, but adding finely chopped mushrooms to the meatballs helps to stretch that pound of beef even further. Not to mention that the mushrooms do a great job of keeping the meatballs juicy and tender, while boosting the earthy mushroom flavour in the dish (which, let’s face it, is really the best part of a stroganoff).
While I was at it, I decided to convert it into a one-pan meal by simmering the noodles together with the meatballs and sauce, so that they’re infused all the way through with delicious beef-and-mushroom flavour.
The end result is some serious comfort food goodness - a big bowl of hearty beefy meatballs and tender noodles smothered in a creamy mushroom sauce made all the more comforting by the knowledge that you’ve only got one pan to wash up at the end of the night. Because if there’s one more thing I learned from my mother, it’s that you should never pass up an opportunity to do less dishes.
Creamy Stroganoff Meatball Skillet
by Crumb: A Food Blog
½ lb sliced cremini mushrooms
1 lb lean ground beef
¼ cup finely diced onion
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
½ tsp salt
½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
Stroganoff Sauce and Noodles:
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
3 cups uncooked broad egg noodles
¼ cup sour cream
¼ cup parsley (plus more for garnish, if desired)
Make the Meatballs:
1. Using a food processor fitted with a metal blade, process the mushrooms until very finely chopped.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped mushrooms with ground beef, onion, parsley, salt and pepper. Using your hands, shape the mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
Make the Sauce and Noodles:
3. In a large heavy-bottomed skillet set over medium-high, cook the bacon in olive oil until browned and crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate, leaving the fat in the pan.
4. Add the meatballs to the hot pan, and cook for 3-5 minutes or until well browned all over. (They are quite fragile at this stage, so be gentle when turning them over!) Transfer the meatballs the same plate as the bacon, and pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from pan.
5. Add the onion to the pan and saute for 6 to 8 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden. Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms start to soften. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
6. Whisk in the broth, and bring the sauce to a simmer. Stir in the noodles, along with the bacon and meatballs, and reduce the heat to medium. Cover and let simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the noodles are soft and the meatballs are cooked all the way through.
7. Remove from heat, and stir in the sour cream and parsley. Serve immediately.
This is a creamy and delicious weeknight meal that is easy to prepare and easy on your budget! This Blend & Extend recipe is sure to get two thumbs up from mom and kids alike.