There is just something nice about a golden brown cheesy quesadilla! It always makes me go crazy! Quesadillas at their base are two tortillas filled with cheese and other veggies and they are toasted until the tortillas are nice and golden brown and the cheese has melted. I have tried many fillings and this is my personal favourite!
Mushroom Pepper Mini Quesadillas
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yellow onion – 1 cup
Bell peppers – 1 cup (used both yellow and red)
White Mushrooms – 2 cups ( sliced)
Butter – 3 tbsp
Olive oil – 1 tbsp
Tortillas – 10 corn tortillas
Cheese –1 ½ cup (shredded)
Chilli powder – 1 ½ tsp
Crushed pepper – ½ tablespoon
Sour cream - to garnish
Spring onions - to garnish
Cilantro - to garnish
Salt - as needed
1. Onion-Pepper preparation: Slice the onion and pepper into thin strips. Heat the olive oil in a wide pan, add the onions and a dash of salt and sauté them for 4-5 minutes over medium heat or until it gets soft. Then add the peppers and sauté them for 5 minutes until it becomes kind of roasted outside and soft. Add the chili powder and crushed pepper. Cook for five minutes. Switch off and Keep it aside.
2. Mushroom preparation: Clean the same pan by wiping with a paper towel. Add one tablespoon of butter and add the mushrooms. Sauté those until it become soft. Keep it aside. Add the onion pepper that we kept aside on top of it. Give a stir and switch off.
3. Tortilla plating preparation: Place one tortilla; keep some cheese on top of it, then some mushroom onion pepper. Then place some cheese on top of that and another tortilla on top of it. Arrange them all and keep aside.
4. Final step: Heat a medium skillet on the stove over medium heat. Place one quesadilla preparation into the pan. If you have bigger one like this, you can cook like this. So, cook them for few minutes, and then flip carefully with a spatula. Cook for two minutes and switch off. Let the quesadillas cool on a cutting board for a few minutes, and then slice each quesadilla into four slices using a pizza cutter or a very sharp knife. Garnish with sour cream, spring onions and coriander.
1. You can garnish with anything you fancy. You can use guacamole.
2. For mini quesadillas, you have to use corn tortillas or use wheat tortillas and cut many pieces.
3. You can use wheat flour tortillas or corn tortillas.
4. You need to put cheese on the bottom and top of the onion-pepper-mushroom preparation for it to stick between tortillas.
5. Be careful when you flip the tortillas. It may slip easily.
Follow Suganya online at Relish The Bite and on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
Hey! Hi, my name is Suganya Hariharan, speaker behind RelishTheBite. My “factual job” is writing SQL queries for my Quality Control analyst position and in cooking department: I do the cooking, writing, and photography for the blog . I live in Montreal, Canada but originally from Chennai, India.
*** NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY NEW FLAVOURS IN YOUR COOKING ***
Join the competition for your chance to win an “Appetizer Spotlight” at the Mushrooms Canada table at the FBC2015 in October.