Add your own recipe to the mix! FBC members can get all of the contest details HERE.
I have never had homemade potstickers before. I have had it once in a restaurant and I loved it. It's just so hard to find a pure vegetarian one at a restaurant here. So, I made these homemade potstickers for me. The best thing about potstickers is that it is so easy to customize the fillings as you fancy. These mushrooms gives an earthy flavor.
It is also great to make homemade potstickers, because you can make a huge batch of them and pop them right in the freezer in a zip lock. That way you can indulge these delicious beauties whenever you want!
Vegan Mushroom Tofu Potstickers with Chili Hoisin Ginger Sauce
Exotic Chinese dumplings for an appetizer or dinner – pack them with any filling of your choice, pan fry, steam, freeze or eat fresh! Purely vegan!!!
Prep Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cabbage – 1 cup, shredded
Carrot – 1 cup, grated
Garlic – 3 cloves, finely minced
Shallots – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Fresh ginger- 2 teaspoons, finely chopped
Green onions – 2 , finely chopped
Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Green chilies – 1, finely chopped
Sriracha - 1tsp
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Salt – 2 tsp
Soy sauce – 2 tsp
Wonton wrappers – 30
Tofu – 4 ounces, chopped (I used extra firm)
White Button Mushrooms – 2 ounces, stems removed, chopped
Hoisin – ½ cup
Sriracha – 2 tsp
Ginger – 1 tbsp, freshly grated
Soy sauce – 2 tbsp
Sesame oil – 2 tsp
Red chili peppers – 3 dried,crushed
Sesame seeds – ½ tsp
Green onion – 1 tbsp, sliced
1. In a blender, add the ingredients under to blend (mushrooms & tofu). And give a 2 pulses blend so that so are slightly blended but should not have smooth texture.
2. In a mixing bowl, add all ingredients under “for filling” except oil and wrappers. Mix the blended mushrooms & tofu to it. And keep aside.
3. To wrap: Defrost the wonton/dumpling wrappers overnight in fridge or defrost by keeping them outside for 2-3 hours. I kept them outside for an hour and then just microwaved them for 20 seconds. (Don’t do it more).Separate them and keep them on a baking sheet or tile.
4. Wet the edge which will help seal the edges. Add a tsp of filling.
Vegan Note: Use vegan creams made from soy milk, use the cashew cheese instead of normal cheese and avoid the butter!
You can serve them with just soy or *sriracha sauce if you do not want to prepare the dipping sauce.
*Sriracha sauce is an Asian-style hot chili sauce and you can find them in most local grocery store in the Asian section.
How to fill and fold the potstickers: The filled dumplings should form a slight crescent shape.
1. Defrost the wonton/dumpling wrappers overnight in fridge or defrost by keeping them outside for 2-3 hours. I kept them outside for an hour and then just microwaved them for 20 seconds. (Don’t do it more).
2. Separate them and keep them on a baking sheet or tile.
3. Wet the edge which will help seal the edges.
4. Add a tsp of filling.
5. Fold in half with no air gaps inside.( like half-moon)
6. You can just use them like this or pick some shapes to do like below.
7. The method below: Start pleating from right to left side of the dumpling and pinch it.
8. Or pinch the center together. Starting from the center, make 3 pleats to the right side of the dumpling. Repeat with the left side of the dumpling so that all the pleats point together towards the center.
Follow Suganya online at Relish The Bite and on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
Hey! Hi, my name is Suganya Hariharan, speaker behind RelishTheBite. My “factual job” is writing SQL queries for my Quality Control analyst position and in cooking department: I do the cooking, writing, and photography for the blog . I live in Montreal, Canada but originally from Chennai, India.
*** NEVER BE AFRAID TO TRY NEW FLAVOURS IN YOUR COOKING ***
Join the competition for your chance to win an “Appetizer Spotlight” at the Mushrooms Canada table at the FBC2015 in October.