We're nearing the finish line and our final announcement of the winning recipe! We can't announce a winner until you've seen all of these amazing recipes though, so today, we bring you these Stuffed Mushroom Stuffed Potato by Bakersbeans! You may remember Wanda's submission from last years contest, her fabulous Thai Beef in Toast Cups with Mango Salsa that we've since served up at one of our own events. We can't wait to try these creative appetizers!
6 small potato nuggets (not baby potatoes)
12 white BC mushrooms (small)
8oz cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp blue cheese, crumbled
3 tbsp pecans, toasted and chopped small
1 tbsp green onion, finely chopped
½ tsp basil, dried
salt and pepper to taste
sprinkle of fresh parsley, chopped
1. Place potatoes in a steamer and steam 40-45 minutes or until soft. Set aside and let cool. Once cooled slice in half and carefully scoop out the insides of the potato leaving the outsides walls sturdy and intact. Set aside potato pulp.
2. Preheat oven to 350F.
3. Remove stems from mushrooms and reserve for another use. Set aside caps.
4. In a bowl beat together cream cheese, blue cheese, pecans, green onion, basil, a pinch of salt and pepper and 2 tbsp potato pulp, until blended.
5. Stuff mushroom caps with cheese mixture, mounding slightly. Fit stuffed mushrooms carefully inside cooled potato halves. I even placed a small dab of the cream cheese filling on the inside bottom of the potato half to help the mushroom stick and stay in place. Place stuffed potatoes on a parchment lined baking pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese bubbles & browns a little. Sprinkle with parsley and even some cooked crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
7. Do not freeze.
Follow Wanda online at Bakersbeans and on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
Wanda Baker is the author of food & life blog bakersbeans.ca, mom to 2 kids, and wife to Rob. Following a career in marketing and events, Wanda started blogging in 2006 as a way to share her adventures and recipes. When she’s not blogging, Wanda is recipe testing, planning city wide food events, freelancing as a social media manager, sewing monster patches onto ripped jeans, sneaking chocolate, and looking forward to a glass of wine at the end of the day.
Thank you to all of the bloggers who took part in our “Appetizer Spotlight” contest! The winning recipe will be announced on September 14th and will be featured at the Mushrooms Canada table at FBC2015 in October. See you there!